50 Cheap and Easy Ideas
to do on
Summer is right around the corner for us. Like a couple days away! My kids have half days all this week, which is kind of silly, because they don’t have much going on! They are enjoying the last few days of school by having a Fun day and Field day, a movie day and a pizza day. Must be nice!
While they are finishing up the year, I have been trying to come up with ideas to keep us busy during the summer. We are trying to save money this year, so I need them to be inexpensive! Easy is also a plus, since we have a toddler to cart around too.
The kids and I brainstormed on ideas on what they would like to do over the summer and we came up with a list of cheap and easy ideas.
- Go to the library- We plan on going every week!
- Host a book exchange- Ask some neighbors or friends from school over and tell them to bring some books. Have them trade for some new to them books
- Start a kids book club- See if any friends are interested in doing a kids book club. Pick a new book and have them meet a couple of times over the summer as they read it and talk about it
- Bake something- My kids love watching the Kids Baking Championship and love making something fun they saw on there. We have tried eclairs and macaroons
- Have a lemonade sale- For some reason my kids love having a lemonade sale. They make big signs and sit outside waiting for cars to drive by
- Make ice pops- Ice Pops don’t last long in my house. My kids have so much fun making them themselves
- Have a picnic- Have one in your yard, on your deck or go to the park
- Make ice cream in a bag- This is such a cool idea! Check out how we do that here!
- Make Smoothies- Cool off with a nice, fruity smoothie
- Try an edible science experiment- Edible Crystals are fun and easy to make.. and so good!
- Make Slime- My kids still love making slime. Fluffy Slime, fishbowl slime or glitter slime!
- Do a science experiment- Science is my daughters favorite subject, so she loves doing anything science!
- Garden- Every year we say we are going to start a garden. We managed to plant some sunflower seeds and we are watching them grow! The kids love watering them and each other
- Sidewalk Chalk- Make a mural in the driveway
- Sidewalk chalk paint- This you can easily make at home and it’s fun and different to paint it on the sidewalk
- Make your own kinetic sand- My kids love playing with this stuff
- Make homemade play dough- Easy and fun to make
- Paint with water colors
- Build a fort
- Have a movie day
- Regal Summer Movie Express- Regal has $1 movies all summer long. Click here to see what’s playing.
- Create a music video
- Put on a play- I liked doing this with my friends when I was a kid
- Have a sleepover
- Go to the zoo
- Make an obstacle course
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Have a car wash- My kids love spraying the hose and “washing” my car!
- Build with Legos
- Volunteer somewhere- It’s hard to find someplace where kids can volunteer, but I think it’s important they learn to donate their time
- Have a water fight
- Play in the sprinklers
- Play card games- Uno and Old Maid are favorites in my house
- Visit a trampoline park- It will burn off some energy. We always look in groupons for discounts
- Go to a water park- We always find coupons somewhere!
- Go to the beach or a lake- We love going to the shore
- Build a sandcastle- Even if it’s in a sandbox!
- Go on a hike
- Go on a bike ride
- Make ice cream sandwiches
- Play board games- My daughters love Life right now
- Make homemade bubbles
- Mini golf
- Rollerblade or roller skate
- Go to the park
- Walk a dog
- Do something nice for a neighbor
- Go to story time at a book store
- Have fun!!!
What do you plan on doing this summer??